View Single Post
      05-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #40
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl26 View Post
Second time limp mode went to check actual messages through BM3 and it show super knocking and fuel injectors shut off.
I'm no expert, but this sounds like the issue right here. Brocken piston can happen with super knock because it is very destructive.

If that is correct, the question then becomes what caused the 'super knock'? There could be any number of things, but I did think the DME protections were put in place to prevent this by retarding ignition etc. as soon as light knock is detected.

I suppose it's possible that if there were extremely high IATs combined with an aggressive tune, low octane west coast fuel, lack of fuel rail pressure due to LPFP starvation on track which would cause the combustion to run lean, possibly some other things creating a perfect storm of conditions that even DME protection algorithms couldn't prevent damage to the engine.

It therefore might be true that a Downpipe and / or tune are unlikely to cause an engine to fail, but a combination of bolt ons and conditions at a track could create the perfect storm condition that could cause engine damage. Perhaps a stock M2 would have gone into limp mode earlier, or run less boost etc. The truth is we'll never know unfortunately...

The OP stated at some point that the M2 was his first turbo car. My M2 is my first turbo car as well, and I personally found that I had a huge amount to learn about the way forced induction engines are controlled. I still have a lot to learn but I certainly wouldn't have ignored a super knock code in the DME on a track day.

Whilst I have sympathy for the OP, and I'd hate to be in his position, I don't think the takeaway is that the M2 isn't track suited, or tuning your car is especially dangerous. My take away is that when tuning, keep an eye on logs and error codes, even if you're not at the track, but especially if you are. BM3's logging and dashboard capabilities are great, and it does worry me that some tunes like the VF maps don't suggest getting logs or monitoring things like knock and IATs.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 5