View Single Post
      01-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #66
SOF80
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_cars View Post
Those cars all do look good, most surprisingly the Gran Coupe 6 series. None of them are bad.

I would argue that while aesthetically pleasing, none of those cars do or ever will be considered classic/true/purist/whatever-you-want-to-call-it designs like the E46 M3, E30 or the 2002.

I think from a business standpoint, for the direction BMW is headed, this guy had it right. Most of the cars look similar if you put them side by side, there's a lot of continuity in the lineup which is good for a brand if you look at it in isolation - but compared to other pedestrian cars on the road today, most of the BMWs just blend in because unfortunately many design techniques are applied similarly across the industry.

From an enthusiast standpoint, I'm sorry but there's nothing in that lineup of cars other than MAYBE the M2 that jumps out and says "I'm special!". The entire non-M F-series cars just aren't anything to write home about, nor is a standard 5-series.

Even the F82/F80, while at least I will notice them on the street and be like "oh hey they bought an M, good job", still don't inspire anything in me.

And that is perhaps the biggest issue that people here are probably having - there is nothing inspired about the designs. That doesn't mean they are not aesthetically pleasing in some ways. But there is a big difference between those two concepts.
I know these are all personal opinions...
I think the F80 is the best looking M since the E46 M3 and M coupe I fell in love with. An M, whether it be a 1,2,3,4,5,6
should stand out from the rest. The F80 finally brought back that wide fender/quarter that was missing. The M coupe/roadster and E46 were (still are) so sexy. Everyone likes a big butt

Since BMW stopped being a niche car and now build a car for just about everyone, it won't matter who the designer is. The business plan is what's causing all of these similar looks. The least they could do is differentiate the M product more.

Lets all not forget how these cars drive though!! Looks may not be a 10 but the performance for the money makes it a 10 IMO
Appreciate 0