04-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #73
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarhigh View Post
HUD is fine when flying my aircraft , but I think it's useless in a car and looks tacky
I like my HUD, and think that it makes for a safer environment. Mine doesn't display all that much, but focusing on the dash and then the road all of the time ends up leading to eyestrain on a long trip. If you have it adjusted properly, it is easy to see but low enough to not obstruct anything of interest ahead. Seeing the next turn and street name when using the nav is much safer than looking at the map display, and opens its use up for other things you may find more useful.

I think having it display all sorts of other information such that it takes a moment to decipher it is not a great idea, but speed, error messages, turns, are easily assimilated and not distracting since they don't change much like some status info might.

At least on my vehicle, the HUD projector is invisible from the driver's seat, so 'looks' is no big deal.

It doesn't look like this is available for the i3, so I probably would not be interested. The i3 doesn't have a HUD option today.

MOst Garmin apps allow you to download maps for later, off-line use, so my guess is that no, you would not need a constant connection or use much data but would need to preplan your coverage so you didn't need to load a lot of data while on the road.
Appreciate 2