03-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #96
Itgb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
More control: I get this. Some people simply can't handle it without more control.

More engaging: Maybe, but why does your train stop at manual transmission? Why not boycott drive by wire, power steering....etc and everything else that makes modern cars less engaging?

More fun: I can't argue with this one. However, perhaps you just don't know how to have fun with an auto gear box. No?
As far as the technology that has taken away from the driving experience, I don't like it. The drive by wire throttle in my M3 has never felt right to me. The electric assist steering in the F30 felt numb and over-assisted. I don't understand why every new car needs a screen sticking straight out of the dash to tell me when someone updates their facebook page(The MK3 Audi TT instrument cluster looks to be a nice solution or even the A3 folding screen so I don't have to look at it). Hell, if I had the choice, I would choose NA over turbo. There is nothing better than a high revving NA engine with instant throttle response. I hate turbo lag.

I haven't found an auto that is fun yet, but I also haven't tried the DCT since it is barely available. At this point, spending $70k on an M3 is not going to make me want to switch to the DCT. If it was offered in the standard 2 and 3-series cars, then maybe. The 8-sp auto is not good enough to me.