10-18-2020, 02:29 AM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
As someone who tries these cases regularly, I have to disagree. The BMW N54 engine is routinely the source of lemon law litigation due to excess oil consumption caused by poor design of the ring pack. The recent iterations have mostly done away with this issue, but I have personally litigated several of these.

The N54 also had numerous crank case ventilation pipe failures. So many, in fact, that the warranty has been extended to 10 years and 120,000 miles. And they redesigned the pipe with a different material and construction to avoid the failures.

The Jeep compass had throttle bodies that would fail and cause a limp-mode.

The Ford powershift transmission was subject mechanical failures and led to one of the largest class action lemon law suits in the last decade.

The new Macan's transfer case has been blowing up and Porsche just extended the warranty on that.

A number of new F-150s have had their AC compressors failing repeatedly.

There are plenty of examples of mechanical failures that have led to successful lemon law claims.
Fair enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF87LCI View Post
Ok, so just to clarify the istep version has not been altered to my knowledge.

I have done some coding bits nothing major. But yeah I know bmw are more aware of things these days and will find any excuse to get out of stuff.

I use the car as a daily, it spends majority of its time in comfort or sport. It's only when I go for a weekend blast I'll flick it into sport plus. As this is the only drive mode the issue appears I'm not sure I could pinpoint how long it's been doing it for.
Most likely coding changes cannot be detected because it just turns on and off parameters already in the car. It is not like flash tuning where you trigger a flash counter, and other ecu's and counters for fuel and load in the car. Or piggy back tuning where you trigger plausibility factors again you are always under boosting but why is the car using so much fuel etc. So unless you tuned your car or flashed a new ISTEP you can revert coding back to stock and take it to the dealer - it theoretically should not be detectable but if it is technically it shouldn't void the warranty because it is just turning on features already built in. But all bets are off if bmw decides to void the warranty because they could make the assertion some coding features like MDM and GHAS were not designed for the m2 which it wasn't - despite being the same part.