View Single Post
      12-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #76
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Oh the 70% figure is actually true, but obviously not 30% BMW's lol but it's definitely close. And usually they're optioned pretty well, but not by choice! I guess BMW Korea options them all in an effort to effect resale so you just have to pick off the lot. As a result a lot of times they're a lot more expensive.

"Engine tax" or "fuel consumption tax" when purchasing the car makes buying M cars pretty cost prohibitive, especially the bigger engines. That is why the OG M2 has been so popular here, it has a smaller engine displacement so it's an affordable M car tax-wise. Lol.

Like the Lexus IS350 was never even offered here for that exact reason, interestingly enough! Same as you'll never find a 550i.
The engine tax part is interesting. China have an engine displacement tax, so larger displacement=higher tax, regardless of fuel consumption/CO2. And of course Teslas got 0% tax on that part. Would love to hear a little bit about how the Korean one works.

IS350 is in similar situation in China, they have a 2998cc V6 equipped IS300 instead to play with the magic displacement numbers.

I did see a dozen or two American cars like Camaro and Challengers in Seoul and Busan, but most are V6/Turbo 4 ones and maybe one or two were V8s.

How are you liking the modding scene there in Korea?