View Single Post
      07-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I don’t run sensors in my track wheels. Sometimes I leave the track wheels on for a couple days after an event until I get a chance to swap them out.

The error messages are pretty annoying for about 30 seconds each time you start the car, on both the nav screen and the instrument cluster, and you have to dismiss them on both displays, but then you just get a steady warning light.

Personally, I’d at least get them installed next time you change tires, but I’m guessing the warnings will motivate you to do it sooner.

I’m guessing you could code the error messages out, but I’ll agree with Dan that the safety benefit for street driving is worth the cost of adding sensors.

All that said, if these are track wheels, and you have an LCI or Comp, I’d leave the sensors out so you can air down the tires enough when cold to get good hot pressures on track, without limiting your ability to use Sport, Sport+, MDM, or DSC Off. Low pressure locks you out of these modes.

I think I read pre-LCI cars also locked you down if the system didn’t see the sensors, but I could be mistaken.
Appreciate 1
DanG10684.50