07-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #77
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrew View Post
I should have been more specific. Let’s set aside traction mode — I hear no difference between comfort, sport, and sport+. Are there specific throttle or driving conditions where the baffles open in sport and sport+? Thanks —
AFAIK, the biggest audible difference is more lift-off burbling as you increase the sportiness of the setting.
Also I think the muffler is bypassed (flaps open?) for more noise in Sport and Sport+. Not sure though.

My guess is that this is not just to make the car sound cooler, but to also make the throttle response
quicker if you lift briefly to counter steer, then get right back on the throttle. The fuel keeps flowing
for a second or two so the engine is still ready for the next throttle press, and that extra fuel explodes
in the exhaust system. So you get the throttle-off burble. And immediate power within the first inch of throttle
pedal travel.

All of which makes the car livelier and more fun. Fine and good at low to medium speeds.
But if you're really pushing it at the limit in a fast turn, you probably don't want twitchy hair-trigger
throttle response. All the driving instructors and racers say you're supposed to gradually apply power as you
hit the apex and track out so you don't transfer too much weight off the front tires and plow or - more likely -
kick the rear end out because you've exceeded the rear tires' traction limit.

I'm thinking "Traction Mode" uses the Comfort throttle mapping because of that. Makes the car feel
sluggish on the road, but makes it smoother and more controllable on the track. You can maintain traction
more easily at the limit.

Just my $0.02.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0