10-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #45
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
No ABS is the hard one to get used to. I haven't driven a non-ABS car since 2004. And then last year I spent a day in a Caterham 7, and killed a lot of cones.

I got used to driving with Stability Control and TCS off on the Mustang. The M2 is even easier to drive at the limit, becasue of the magical active diff, and pretty much perfect chassis balance. The only place I keep the driver aids on is at the 'Ring. That place is frightening at speed.
I spent my first year of track driving in the other car, so I know what I’m getting into, but that was at a low-novice driving level. It’s getting a substantial mechanical refresh and seats/harnesses/half cage to make it a bit safer. Will be interesting to get back into it after a few years in modern cars.

I’ve been behind some non-abs cars when they put on a smoke show locking up the brakes into corners. Looks expensive. I can see how that might be the bigger adjustment.

Agree M2 is a very friendly platform for DSC off. The track I do drive DSC off is modern with decent runoffs, a good track surface, and the place I drive most, so my comfort level is high there. Two of the other local tracks are pretty old school with walls and/or minimal runoff in places that could have bad consequences. The last one is just a complex, technical track that I don’t get to often enough, but it’s a safe, modern track.

Excuses out of the way, my biggest hurdle is being willing to back off a couple tenths and work back up to my current pace. I like to take full advantage of the track time I paid for.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50