Thread: B-street setup
View Single Post
      10-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #183
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

Hello all,

I just bought a 2018 M2 to use as both a daily and autox car. I'll probably start taking it to the track once my new car paranoia wears off, too.

I've been running an E46 M3 in FS for the past 5 years. I really enjoyed the car but it's getting old and SCCA does not seem interested in classing it reasonably, so I figured it's time to move on. I decided to jump on an M2 that popped up locally, and I'm quite excited about it, but I'm finding the jump in technology level a little overwhelming (I've never owned a car newer than 2006 before now). I want to make sure I understand what I'm doing before I start buying stuff.

In my E46, I ran 18" wheels with no TPMS, Koni Yellow shocks, and a front sway bar. I ran RE71R's until recently when I switched to Supercar3's which worked much better. The E46 did not care if TPMS was removed other than it would give me a nuisance light every once in a while. The car had a binary sport mode that simply advanced the throttle mapping so most of the throttle control was in in the top half of the pedals movement, which was frankly just stupid so I left it in normal mode for better control.

After reading the owner's manual for the M2, things have clearly gotten a lot more advanced.

For TPMS, it seems some people are choosing to run TPMS on their autox/track wheels. Is this because the car might go into limp mode if TPMS is not functional? Or does having TPMS functional provide some other benefit that I'm not understanding?

For sport mode, I found a chart someone posted online that shows the different modes. It looks like the easiest thing to do is simply turn DSC fully off.

Once I get this sorted out in my head, my plan is to buy 18" wheels either with or without TPMS (whichever one makes more sense) and mount Supercar3's again. I'll may get a second set with Yok's if I decide to go to any National level events next year. I'll probably stick with just that for an event or two before I start messing with shocks or swaybars. The M2 seems to handle a bit better out of the box than the E46 from what I've felt so far, so it may not need much. If I do upgrade I'll probably skip Koni Yellows and go straight to a high-end shock.

Also, I haven't seen much talk about exhaust options. Does anyone know what the stock exhaust weighs?
Appreciate 0