View Single Post
      07-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #26
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Yes yes, the good old brakes

While they are truly a big brake kit, Brembo and loved by most they certainly were not loved by me. I knew they were coming off before I even got the car, the main reason is wheel selection. I’m not a 19” wheel fan and I know that a lot of people think that 18” wheels look small and don’t like them. That is totally ok, it’s not for everyone and luckily, I don’t build my cars for anyone else but me.

The total weight of these brakes is around 160 lbs, limited options for wheels and since they were brand new (181 miles when removed), I’d be able to sell them to recoup costs towards my brake setup of choice. I will admit, They did look really great and behind that stock wheel, it’s a good pairing!

Now, since I had the AP Essex Brake kit on my e92 M3, I knew that this was another kit I HAD to own again. I toyed with the idea of even getting some OEM Blue Brakes but found that they also are poor for my wheel fitment needs. So I reached out to jritt@essex at Essex Parts and we chatted, he knew that I enjoyed my last kit and well I made it clear that I needed the kit for the M2C. On the e92, I had the 9668 kit which allowed for 25mm thick pads but also put a slightly hindered wheel face clearing ability on my e88s. So I ended up with the following setup for the M2C.

26 lbs and 12 lbs

AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit
  • 9660/372mm - Front
  • 9451/365mm - Rear
  • Pad Tension Kit
  • Spiegler Brake Lines
  • Hawk HPS Pads - Mostly street use AND Low Dust!
  • Ferodo DS2500 - I may go back to these down the road

Forgot to take pics of the brakes prior to install…shocker…

I did however take time to appreciate the work I did on the rear splash guard, I wasn’t going to remove the axle nut just to remove that guard so I got the dremel out and cut it off. Then of course too the wire brush mated it to the trusty Makita and went to town. Start to finish and I was deifiantelly happy on how it turned out.

Now, onto the pics of the AP Essex setup, the front setup shaved off 26 lbs and the rear setup shaved off 12 lbs!!! This kit weighs less than either OEM kits and does what I need from a compatibility standpoint.

While the OEM brakes looked good behind the stock wheels, these aren’t so bad either haha.

[/url]