View Single Post
      01-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
What first hand knowledge do you personally have that leads you to believe that?

I've seen plenty in the 21 or so years I've been an automotive service manager. I've seen warranty engine claims denied. I've seen dirt on the down stream side of the filters. I've seen oil and dirt trails leading from the filters. I've seen enough to never use one.
Well, first hand knowledge isn't really valuable because it's such a small test size. But I have owned, maintained, and re-oiled air filters for the past 5 vehicles I've owned over the last 10 years without issue.

But more importantly, I've reviewed numerous industry and consumer research reports over the years validating they cause no harm... which is further evidence by the fact that pretty much every aftermarket intake/air filter comes with an oiled filter. Quite the liability to sell something that causes damage.

No offense, but being a service manager doesn't mean much. You don't know what the history of the cars were, how the filter was maintained, or if there were other factors involved. I'm quite skeptical of you seeing dirt pass through a filter, as well. Dirt large enough to be visible wouldn't pass through a filter, and any fine dirt/dust would be caught in the oil on the outside of the filter preventing it from passing through.

Here is one of the tests and research that I quickly found for you to review.
https://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Last edited by Anthony1s; 01-23-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 3