View Single Post
      01-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #19
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I get that people are pissed at this change. I mean, after all, who wants a take away. But, moving away from BMW because of this change is pretty dramatic.

This change adds up to maybe one oil change and some wiper blades. From a dollar and cents perspective, not reason enough to switch brands. If its the principle of the thing that is driving the negative comments, then I get that. When a company does something I don't like, I've been known to vote with my feet.

I have to wonder though, are the people hating on BMW about this change business people too? BMW is a business. They have an obligation to their shareholders to maximize profits. They offered free maintenance a few years ago and it has been a huge success. As someone mentioned, they are selling cars in record numbers. Someone at BMW took the time to look at the free service programs offered by BMW competition and realized they don't have to offer 4 years anymore. From a pure business perspective, any company that isn't comparing to the competition and adjusting their pricing and terms accordingly is not paying attention, period.

So, go ahead and be pissed. But before you vote with your feet, please note that very few cars come with a free maintenance program longer than 3 years. If you pick one that does, then you get to choose between certain Cadillac, Hyundai and Kia models. BMW is betting on the fact that you won't do that. I'll go out on a limb and bet you won't either. For those that do leave, BMW knows there are 10 more coming on board. They also know you will be back.
Appreciate 9