V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi terrywang,
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywang View Post
How long did it take for your M2 from indicator light #2 to reach #3?
I have charged the M2 three times and got different results every time, so I don't think that there is an exact answer as to "how long should it take".

That said, the results went something like this for charging time to reach the third light:
  1. More than 24 hours: Battery was nearly totally flat as a result of the headlights being left on (long story, but was related to the PPF installation). Note that I charged this via the alligator clips applied directly to the battery in the boot.
  2. 18 hours: Alligator clips applied to the battery in the boot. Weekend use of the car (i.e. wasn't being driven daily).
  3. 8 hours: Alligator clips applied to the Charging Aid points in the engine bay. Weekend use of the car (i.e. wasn't being driven daily).

Quote:
I tested the XS 0.8 on a Mazda6 with 60ah (@ 20 HR) battery, after 8 hours, it is still at #2, the manual says it may max at 20 hours for this stage.
The charging time will depend on a range of factors such as:
  • The total charge that the battery will hold.
  • The remaining charge in the batter at the time you commence charging.
  • The health of the battery
... and probably a bunch of other stuff like temperature, humidity, corrosion (if any) on the charge points etc.

I might be stating the obvious, but you'll get different results between cars & manufacturers

Quote:
Not sure what exactly it means (20 hours to reach 80% capacity anyway?).
Someone else on the forum may have a more educated answer than me, but what these folks are advising you is that under most circumstances, it will take between 8 & 20 hours for the battery to reach 80% charge (i.e. charge light #3). The trickle charger then slows the charge down for the last 20% - the objective being to get the battery as close to fully charged as is possible.

Its been our experience that using a trickle charger is a very economic means of maintaining the electric health of the car. We put each car (the M2 and the X6) on the charger once a month to make sure that the battery is topped off on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1