View Single Post
      01-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
There is a pristine looking M2 in my area with low miles, single owner, clear carfax.

Is the crank hub an issue for this motor? Any key things to immediately check/replace if I buy this?

And the primary thing holding me back from buying an M2 is the fuel economy. For those that daily their M2 and do 75-100 highway miles a day, what is your fuel economy like? Currently get 31 or so and I realize I will not get that in the M2, but trying to get a realistic estimate. I'm hoping to avoid filling the tank every other day.
You drive a BRZ right? How worried are you about cracked ringlands or other Subaru boxer motor issues? (Not including the recent valve recall, that's something entirely different)

While you may have heard of ringland failure on the boxers, and everyone talks about it like it is guaranteed to happen to every Subaru, I can count on one hand the amount of people I know who have experienced said failure. Compared to the THOUSANDS of Subarus on the streets, it is an insanely low percentage. Same can be said for the crank hub.

AFAIK, the crank hub is only on the S55, so an OG M2 with the N55 shouldn't have the issue. I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain the N55 has a different crank hub design.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50