03-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #1462
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I use the EF 1.4X TC-II and the reviews of the Series III show it to be even better. Keep in mind, if you crop, most of the problem areas with even the worst TC are going to be out in the corners, which you crop off.

I hope that the 6D gets f/8 AF, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The AF system is clearly different from the 5D3 and the 1DX. They've never provided f/8 AF for the 7D. I think that the 6D is one of their price-point cameras and firmware updates will likely only fix problems, if any.

Here's about a 50-60% crop with my 500mm on the 5D3 with the 1.4X TC, hand held:

The wing blur is due to the high speed of kestrels, not OOF. This was shot at 1/1250-sec. so it would have taken around 1/2000-sec to freeze the wing tips.
Nice shot. No easy task aiming that rig, I'd bet. And to catch a kestral while doing so is impressive.

I'm not betting on an f8 fix for the 6D. Canon Rumors is often out there with, well...rumors. That's why I won't invest in a Canon 1.4x TC until I see it happen.

That said, I was out today testing the 400 5.6 with the Kenko 2x TC. Pretty sharp images. Handheld manual focusing 800mm with no IS is a bear, though. The 400+2x TC combo will have to be for sitting birds only.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0