United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I understand I'm just one person, so take that for what it is... but I ran Stg2 with OEM intercooler and downpipe for a year. Taking multiple logs in various conditions and never saw an issue. Comparing to once I upgraded the intercooler and downpipe, there was no difference in timing or knock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Now that I think of it, and have more knowledge, my experience could've have been caused by running in Sport+. So traction control could've been cutting power before any timing pull or knock happened. I didn't start driving in DSC Off mode until this past summer, because I was still getting used to the car.
This is good to know, even with your point about running in sport+ mode. I imagine that our conditions in Toronto are largely similar to yours in Pennsylvania. I think I will ultimately do it anyway since I do track the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Turbo inlet pipe swap and a dry flat panel air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Most everything I've read on intakes is they are a waste of money for what you gain, if anything but more noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
The stock intake flows really well. Put the dry panel filter in it and call it a day. Most people change the intake for the noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Only thing i would add is an intake or high flow filter. Powerwise, it will be the same but the intake sounds a lot better
Is the turbo inlet needed even on a stock turbo? The threads I have seen (e.g. here) make it sound like a fairly dubious upgrade, especially for the money.

I feel the same way about filters/intakes. I don't think I've ever seen verifiable performance improvements from a filter on an FI engine and don't want to risk having more dirt into the engine for the sake of a couple HP. I also try to keep the noise "stock-ish" so increased noise not a plus for me.

Thanks again to all the thoughtful responses.
On another thread a guy was running 460 and dynoed with stock vs a drop in filter - absolutely no difference in power. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1661597

Agree, not worth the risk to the engine just for a bit of noise. Tbh the car is plenty loud enough when running a dp anyway.
Appreciate 0