10-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #14
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
bentom2 - do you feel like you are getting good braking performance? Any reason to think could be an issue with the car - maybe have it checked out? Something funky sounds like it is going on - burning through rears almost twice as fast as fronts definitely doesn't sound right. How does the car feel under heavy braking in MDM vs DSC off? And now that you are running stickier tires has the braking performance increased?
No braking issues. I even set some personal best lap times. I drive a fairly long ways from home to the various local tracks, so I’m leaning toward pad wear from slight caliper drag. This would also explain the dust seals suddenly showing signs of heat damage that wasn’t present prior. Maybe just enough drag to generate some heat/wear, but not enough to cook the pads or cause fade on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I thought of so thing else. Simple explanation this time. Is is possible the rear pads are actually a different compound? If you had street compound on the back and race compound on the front the rears would disappear in no time.

I’ve gotten the right part number box, with wrong part numbers inside. Also got right pad shape with wrong compound before as well.

Maybe not, but sometimes the simplest explanation is right.

Pads disappear quick when they operate over their heat rating. So either your rotors are getting too hot or the pads can’t take it.
I probably would never know. Other than wear, everything felt 100%

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’ve seen enough to confirm this isn’t normal, so time to do some work. I’ll rebuild the calipers in a few weeks and see what happens at my next track event in November and/or the drive to/from. The season is winding down here, so it’ll be a few months before I can get enough time int to confirm whether that fixes things. Would love to see the rear pads start lasting longer than the fronts like the rest of you.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0