09-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Thescout13, Good info for my next ED, hopefully there'll be another ED in my future. On my ED trip in 2017, I just followed the advice on here of buying one at a gas station, close to the border of Switzerland. Unfortunately they didn't have any and I ended up buying one at the toll gate/border crossing, entering Switzerland.

At the tollgate, I had to park the M2, go to a seperate booth with my passport plus all the BMW paperwork. I was instructed to go back to my car where 2 security guards met me. They then began inspecting my car inside, out and underneath. they asked my wife and I to stand outside and remove our luggage from the trunk. They then asked me a whole bunch of questions about my purpose of travel and about my new car. It wasn't excited new car talk, it was more in line with thinking that I maybe was sneaking a stolen car across the border. They were not familiar with the BMW ED program.

The whole process took about 45 minutes. The guards weren't rude but neither were they friendly. If I had the vignette prior, I could have drove through a different line and I'm sure it would have sped up the process.
yup same experience with the Swiss police. they are not rude but they are not friendly either. they were neutral. ya before entering Switzerland better have their toll sticker as they have checkpoints. there were no checkpoints while entering Austria from Germany.
Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe393.00