View Single Post
      08-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #159
acl26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I apologize for not reading every single post in this thread but from what I have gathered the OP is in western Canada and was using an OTS map? That's a recipe for cracked pistons and ringlands I am afraid. While I can't comment on Mexico, we have the worst gasoline in North America as our 91+ grades are equivalent to California 91 at best. I can attest from personal experience as I got my STI pro-tuned (I was getting too much knock even running Cobb ACN91 maps) for Husky 94 and a co-worker as well as another person I know ran Cobb OTS maps on their STI's. Only my STI stood the test of time as the OTS maps tuned for 91 available in most of the USA will simply not work well when you are fuelling your car with lesser fuel such as the swamp piss they sell us in western Canada.
Car was running on 91 WA state gas at a 76 station. Not Canadian fuel.

Car was running on dealership motor oil, so that is also something to think about in terms or possible relations to super knocking.

I have seen articles of older gen BMWs (even Mini's) getting a super knocking code but none showed it with hard driving.

Anyways, all I am saying is that this is a rare case of super knocking under hard driving conditions and ended up blowing a piston(with IMO, pretty common mods). We don't really know much about this phenomenon of super knocking, especially in this engine, so there could be other factors and that could range beyond just the gas and octane. Just saying.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50