11-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Looking back, I feel like doing ED was a mistake now.

My reasons...

1) takes sooo long
2) the tracking process is terrible (too many unknowns)
3) you "endanger" your car in Europe (such as road debris, potential dings from parking, expose your car to the elements, etc)
4) for the most part, you can't full throttle it (until you reach 1200 miles and get the service done) I didn't get the service done, so it was just a big tease!
5) takes sooo long!

I think a better route would've just been to take my own Euro trip and rent a BMW. That way...

1) I could've been one of the first people to receive their M2C in VA if I didn't do ED
2) I wouldn't "endanger" my own vehicle
3) I could've ragged out someone else's car (I feel a little jipped that I wasn't able to go 130+ mph)

I'm sure that I'm mostly feeling like this right now because I haven't collected my car here in the states yet. It's been at the VPC for 2 weeks now and it's just absolute torture...because they can't give me any updates other than, "it's delayed." So frustrating!

First world problems!
1. I definitely agree with you on this. Took months before I actually found out I was approved. Then another few for the trip. Then another for the re-delivery.
2. Yeah it's definitely not fedex. Once you know what ship the car's on it's not too bad. VPC is a mess though. Nobody has a clue where anything is.
3. I didn't have a single issue with any of this through 1,500 miles and four countries. The again, I drove in the middle of summer.
4. Yeah this is a bit of a bummer too. Though for me, driving on unfamiliar roads, in a continent riddled with speed cameras, was enough to keep me in check. Even being extremely careful, I still got two speeding tickets from Zurich a few months after the fact. Both for 1-3 kmh over. I did my 1,200 in Geneva and was able to open her up a bit before drop off, which was nice. Though the added hassle of finding a dealership and losing the car for most of a day was a pain.

With all of the stress, uncertainty, and waiting, I still found it to be an amazing experience that I would love to do again. Especially knowing what I know now about the process and Europe in general.
Appreciate 0