03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #53
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Whether they flash other modules in the car doesn't really matter as far as the unlock so anything else getting serviced/flashed will not affect the DME unlock, and there are a ton of ECUs on these cars.

When/if DME is flashed, if the bootloader area of the DME is flashed, which isn't very common, then you'd lose your unlock, otherwise unlock would stay.

Keep in mind, there's never going to be a true way of being invisible to the dealer/service whether you use a flash or piggyback tune or any hardware modifications. Modifying has always carried risk of warranty and it doesn't apply just to cars we love to mod
Thanks for the reply. My question had nothing to do with warranty or being invisible. Was merely asking IF they were to flash the car's ECU, where your flash resides, would the flash cause them any problems or not. You seem to be saying that it wouldn't cause the dealer any problems in flashing the ECU.

Worst thing that would happen is that you'd have to get the DME unlocked again. I'm guessing you would realize that after getting your car back and trying to flash the tune again, and being unsuccessful.
08 335 MT (RWD) | Cobb OTS E30 maps | AMS intercooler | AR DP's | K&N filter | KW V2's | M3 front control arms | Stoptech slotted rotors & Street Performance pads | Stoptech SS brake lines w/STR 600 fluid | PE mod

X3 35 with a few little mods
Appreciate 0