View Single Post
      07-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #12
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOudin View Post
For what it's worth, I'm also learning the M2 after coming from a mid-engine. I initially found myself over driving the front tires, partially because the M2 is so good at managing mid-corner attitude adjustments and fun to drive. Once I reigned in the enthusiasm and got back to managing weight transfer (like I was still driving a car with only 48% weight on the front wheels), lap times dropped and shoulder wear slowed down.

From the looks of those Cup 2's, I'd guess they're getting more slip angle and heat than they like. My RE-71R have 2x the sessions (usually with a passenger/student for even more weight) driving it for personal best lap times, and still have another day in them. I ended up putting in camber plates, but haven't driven with them yet.

I'm step out and say you might just be doing the right thing by looking to tighten the nut behind the wheel first. Yes, even instructors need to do it...because we're mostly still amateurs too!
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been doing some more reading on slip angle management, which I am finding helpful. The trouble is identifying that feeling of driving at optimal slip vs. going over - I guess this just takes experience, but I'm open to suggestions.

At any rate, I think the general consensus of advice is correct and driving more reserved into corners will only only get me so far. The cost of camber plates will be offset by the savings in tire wear (hopefully), so going with some vorshlags and adding a set of ohlins just because.
Appreciate 0