View Single Post
      05-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #54
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Just as another data point, here are a few snaps of my left side in front of the rear wheel. Car has about 29,000 miles, has not been tracked, but has seen a couple of trips where it got trapped in snow conditions.

I had the OEM PPF replaced in that area with XPel Ultimate shortly after I got the car because it was obvious the factory piece was too small. Very glad I did! Also, I outlined the coverage of my replacements on the last picture just so you can see our approach, bringing it forward all the way to the door jamb. The rockers are also covered, but not the doors (I did the hood, full nose, front fenders and mirrors, plus these replacements in front of the rear wheels, as well as a custom dog leg behind the rear wheels).

It's hard to really capture what I see when I look at the car, it's in really good shape. The first picture in the set is sort of what you see, you don't notice a lot of the nicks in that area when the lighting isn't highlighting them, etc. And all the pictures show a lot of extra reflection and swirling that isn't there when you really look at the car, that's just the nature of taking pictures of shiny objects. And the course surface of my asphalt driveway didn't help at all, but what can I say.

Anyway, the first picture sort of gives you an idea of what you normally see in just looking at the car. But then I got it in direct sunlight for the second and third picture to highlight the small nicks that have occurred in the film. It's the small white "specs" you want to notice there, not all the reflections from the ground, etc. Interestingly a better test is actually running your hand over the film, you can feel it better than you can see it, it's earning it's money in protecting the paint.

Hope this helps a little, sorry it's so hard to capture in pictures...

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuMVY2yxFoOPyV0BrHiES7x2lzrd