View Single Post
      02-16-2017, 04:01 AM   #170
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothM2 View Post
Suddenly my M2 isn't worth as much as it was 2 days ago. I was really hoping the motor was a closed deck so it would on par with the S55 in terms of reliability and tuning potential. Now that it's been confirmed to be open deck it has deflated it's value somewhat. It's like getting that chocolate bunny for Easter only to find out that it's hollow...
IMHO zero depreciation, except if you wrapped it around a tree last night.

And your chocolate Easter bunny ain't hollow - you still got all the chocolate you expected. Actually, BMW even got you more chocolate than expected: Akrapovič tested the M2 (see here) and found out that it sports 284.3 kW or 386.5 hp (metric) or 381.2 hp (mech) (instead of the official 272 kW or 370 hp (metric) or 365 hp (mech)) and 558.8 Nm or 412.1 lb-ft (instead of the official 500 (465+35) Nm or 369 (343+26) lb-ft). So, are you also gonna argue that your M2 took a hit because it got more than the official power and torque levels which makes it in your likely view 'a bit too dangerous to handle' for you ? C'mon, man.

The BMW N55 engine successfully powered numerous BMW cars since 2009 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N55). It proved to be a very reliable engine and properly handles all the power levels set by BMW. The N55 3.0-litre straight-six with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology won the "2014 Engine Of The Year Award" in its class (see here and here). The M2 engine ended second in the "2016 Engine Of The Year Award" in its class, with Porsche taking the crown (see here).

Nobody's perfect. All this quarrelsome/contentious "lawsuit !", "damages !", "buyback !", yadda-yadda-yadda that starts surfacing now, is pretty saddening for many BMW aficionados over here (including myself). Get a grip: approach the 'open deck' design feature in a constructive way, rather than in a destructive way. Or, as a wise farmer saying goes: life is simpler when you plow around the stump.