bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
I still find it hard to believe they would make an N20 derived motor over an N55 derived motor, going from an I6 in the M235i to an I4 in the M2 would just seem so odd to me, I guess it is possible. I think a lot of customers, myself DEFINITELY included, would find it hard to swallow paying more for less, in a way. If that were the case, I would buy an M235i any day, well, I want to anyway. Not saying that it isnt a really capable platform, I just find the logic perplexing.
The part highlighted in bold is, I think, why it is a probable outcome. The M235i is the car for people who insist on the I6.

I was, at first, recalcitrant at the prospect of an N20 derived powerplant in the M2, but a couple of factors have me convinced that it will be the case, and that it may even be a good thing:

1) BMW must differentiate the M2 from the M4. If they simply offer an "M4-lite", they will have created a sales parasite for their "most focused" sports car offering; that is quoted because that is how BMW staff frequently refer to the M3/4.

2) Even way back when the E36 was introduced, BMW was criticized for delivering a less focused car than the E30 before it. The E46, while well regarded today, was also criticized. The E92... You get the picture. BMW has a hole in its line-up. That hole was left by the E30 M3.

I believe the M2 is going to try to come as close as possible to the E30 M3 in spirit, but in a modern automotive context. There are certain things that are simply untenable. Yes, we would all love a high-revving, naturally-aspirated engine like the S14 or S54, but I don't believe that decision would survive the market, nor would it help BMW's long term fleet fuel economy performance.

If we look at the M2 in this context, and we ask ourselves whether the M2 would have an N55 derived engine, or something based on the N20, I think the answer becomes more clear that it would be the N20.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport

Last edited by bradleyland; 01-21-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0