View Single Post
      03-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #90
SpinRush
Rep
Drives: Honda, BMW, Volvo, Mazda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs34 View Post
But you do realize that most people see beamers as "look at me" cars, right?

I guess my attitude is a little different. I'm in my early 30's and couldn't care less if my car looks like a bat mobile of sorts. But I work in tech and not sales. I know that for some people the car they drive sort of bleeds into their work since their outward appearance matters more.
In this back and forth, yada yada, about who set the fastest time at the Nurburgring your post is the most intelligent so far.

You are absolutely right. BMW is a “look at me” car. They are damn good looking too. Aerodynamic, sleek, beautiful lines with an aggressive stance. Kinda like an athlete wearing an Armani suit about to run the 100m dash.

The Type R is something out of “Wacky Races” that Dastardly and Muttley would ride in with missile launchers and oil slick at their disposal. Just to let you know I absolutely love that show.

One thing that you were keen to point out is there are consumers ( drivers ) out there who are concerned about their outward appearance. Most people outside Japan need their cars to drive to work.

The thing I like about the Type R is that it’s styling is a break away from the norm. I believe the individual that buys a Type R ( especially the FK8 ) doesn’t give one s%$# what people think of the driver or his car. That individual is too busy having fun.

I, like many other FK8 owners, want separation from company and private life. If you judge a book by it’s cover, shame on you. You would be amiss if you thought the CTR was just a teenage racing machine. It is super practical and Honda would just blow you away with that. Forget where I saw it but somebody put a 60in TV in the back. Dustin Williams loaded that boot area up with 19in wheels and tires. They call that thing the FWD Nurburgring champ?

To each his own but I think you should never buy a car that suits the expectations of those who view you. It’s just too much money and it’s supposed to be your car. On the other hand, it’s nice that BMWs look so damn formal that they fit any anywhere.
Appreciate 0