05-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #23
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I wasn't under the impression it worked this way - in fact, when it happened to my friend, his insurance (he was the middle guy) had to cover the guy he hit and then he (his insurance) had to go after the other guy - who did not have insurance.

Didn't matter to him - except he was out his deductible. Long story short, you hit someone, it is your fault, even if it wasn't your fault - you then go after the other guy. Then again, I suspect it varies by state.
It may vary from state to state - maybe that's the way it works in a "no-fault" state, but it's def not how it works in MD, which is NOT a no-fault state. That much I can say from first-hand experience.

Another factor that MAY matter in some states, not sure, but in my case I was stationary - I was not moving at all when I was rear-ended so there is zero chance of me being responsible for my car being pushed (from a standstill) into the car in front.
samsamdar584.50