10-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #35
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'm in this boat too. If the M2 isn't a pain to buy (e.g., marks ups, limited allocations) I'm probably going that route. Which means it will probably a year before I can purchase an M2 on my terms. If that is the case I may just purchase an F80 now and revisit the M2 in a few years. Really can't go wrong.
Very good approach and thanks to those who brought up the auto-X vs track experience for both cars. I used to auto-X a lot (once a month) and really want to get back into it (work and graduate school suck up my time). Obviously, the smaller, more nimble size of the M2 will serve it well and better than a M3/4 on a tighter track. I was running my 335is this year and I did fine but it did feel like too much car on the course. Granted I am no Lewis Hamilton, Carlos Sainz or Aryton Sena, but I am a pretty solid X-er and the car just felt too big for event.

Other friends, E46 330s, E36 M3s and E46 328s (heavily, track modified) seemed much quicker and, frankly, more fun for the tight, technical nature of the auto-X. I did a few passenger rides with them and the smaller size and lower power seemed like a better match for that specific event. That said, the F80, at the BMW school, owned the track and was a sheer joy. My favorite event and favorite car of all the events and platforms we got to drive.

While either car will be a daily driver and weekend racer, I will definitely be doing more auto-Xing than full on track driving, hence I keep going back to the M2.

Colors and what not, I feel like the M2 was slightly sold short on the current interior and "M" details but I can get over it. However, I am a little turned off by the non-functioning vents and the non-M seats, but again, if it is fun and fast, who gives a shit. Seeing the newly posted interior pictures of the LBB, it is the first "lively" color that I really like. My M3 is built with Silverstone which I think is so classy though.

Another thing, and this comes with the process of buying a car, between the USAA discounts on the F80 and the BMWCCA membership discounts (which roughly equate to one another), I am now back in the boat of not having a financial priority. Obviously, even at MSRP, the M2 will be cheaper. I plan on a few options, but those are largely going to be the diffuser and Alcantara wheel, and then whatever performance options scream out at me. I am set, dead set though on not paying above MSRP for the M2 and if someone tries to hose me, then I walk.

Anyone closer to making a decision? Any ideas when press cars will start being circulated so we can start reading reviews?

Last edited by DDR MFS; 10-22-2015 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 1