View Single Post
      10-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #32
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Thanks for starting this thread, this is the same decision I'm gonna have to make in about a year--but it's never too early to start trying to figure it out. It's nice to see others going through the same pros and cons.

Initially I was leaning towards the M2, but as the details came out it became less appetizing (crap colors, no cf roof, no M seats, etc), and I've also gone back to the drawing board on our two-car strategy (was formerly thinking of getting wife a 328GT as family/touring car and eventually M2 to replace my M235i). Now I'm considering an alternate plan where we get the F80 first to act as our family/touring car and then a year later get an i3 to replace the M235i as our city/local commute car. So many decisions and possibilities

One of the key things is how much fun the F87 vs F80 will be. I *love* my M235i, both in daily driving and hooning it up on country backroads a few times a month, and I want my next fun car to bring more power and a tighter suspension. One question I have that maybe some of y'all have looked into is, apples to apples, what is the weight difference with 6MT F87 vs F80?

I'm sure the F80 will clearly win in terms of power-to-weight, but there is something to be said for the agility that comes with lower weight.

My other question, that I can't find answered anywhere, is: are the 'vents' with the M2 badges behind the front wheel arch real, functional vents? Or is it just totally fake? If it's fake, that would really, really bother me. We already know the rear fender vent-like depressions are fake since they are filled with the world's most obnoxious reflectors. :thumb down

Thanks in advance for any insight and info y'all might have.
Like I said in many of my posts, if you want a fun/nimble car, the M2 is the ticket. I also happen to love the M235i so I have no doubt the M2 will fill that role very well. However, the M3 is more practical and has the better engine. So it'll come down to what you prioritize.

As for the vent, they are non-functional, but there are so many M's that have this. If we were nit picky, then the M2 really should not have quad exhausts at all either. There's absolutely no need for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToe View Post
I was on the fence for a while. I've had a deposit in and a #1 slot for 6 months. Then I started lusting after the m3 in Daytona violet. Dealer offered me an allocation and we negotiated price. However, after much thought I declined as I felt the car was too big. I've had an e36, 2 e46s, and an e90. They kept getting bigger. Then I visited a local auto cross. I didn't run but several friends who I go to HPDEs were there. There was 2 M3s and an M4. They got whipped by many of the cars out there. They were out of place - too big and certainly not nimble. Maybe awkward and clumsy are the better words to describe it. Seeing this just reconfirmed that I made the right call in declining the M3 allocation. I know I know that auto cross is not what the m3 was made for. That said the e46 m3s were very competitive at auto cross and also track worthy and street worthy. While I don't plan on auto crossing the M2 you can bet it will be at the track right after break in.
The M3/4 is not a good autox car. Too big and wide, while not enough haivng enough tire for all the torque from factory.

On a proper track, I expect that's where the M3/4 will come alive and the size wouldn't matter as much. It also remains to be seen how good of a job BMW did with the M2's cooling, as this is very stout on the S55. Having said that, I foresee the M2 being a super fun car at the track and autox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Here's what you need to do: buy a well-kept E39 M5 to fill the "generation gap" between your E36 and E92, and save your pennies for an E30 one day (or an M2 LCI (CSL?) with Euro Delivery if this car proves to be as good as we think it should be).
Of all those cars you listed, I've actually thought many many times about adding an Imola Red E39 M5. I still think it's one of the best looking sedans ever made.

However, I think there would just be too much overlap considering I already have an E92.

Personally, I really don't have an interest in the E30 M3 for what they are going for now. Far too expensive IMHO. And the M2 CSL would be amazing, but I already know that if it comes out, it'll be out of my budget and chances are it'll be DCT only.

Another thought about the M2 while we are at it. I don't think it would be too difficult to find one lightly used in a couple of years optioned out the way I like. I know almost for a fact that an F80 how I'd order it would be nearly impossible. Austin Yellow (rare), cloth (rare), LED AND 6MT (less common than DCT) while having a CF roof. That might as well be 1/1. The odds would be even more impossible should you decide on going with Indvidual.

On the other hand, finding a low mileage LBB/6MT/LED (if they offer them) should not be hard at all. Especially considering all the interiors are identical.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1