View Single Post
      10-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #30
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg
Thanks for starting this thread, this is the same decision I'm gonna have to make in about a year--but it's never too early to start trying to figure it out. It's nice to see others going through the same pros and cons.

Initially I was leaning towards the M2, but as the details came out it became less appetizing (crap colors, no cf roof, no M seats, etc), and I've also gone back to the drawing board on our two-car strategy (was formerly thinking of getting wife a 328GT as family/touring car and eventually M2 to replace my M235i). Now I'm considering an alternate plan where we get the F80 first to act as our family/touring car and then a year later get an i3 to replace the M235i as our city/local commute car. So many decisions and possibilities

One of the key things is how much fun the F87 vs F80 will be. I *love* my M235i, both in daily driving and hooning it up on country backroads a few times a month, and I want my next fun car to bring more power and a tighter suspension. One question I have that maybe some of y'all have looked into is, apples to apples, what is the weight difference with 6MT F87 vs F80?

I'm sure the F80 will clearly win in terms of power-to-weight, but there is something to be said for the agility that comes with lower weight.

My other question, that I can't find answered anywhere, is: are the 'vents' with the M2 badges behind the front wheel arch real, functional vents? Or is it just totally fake? If it's fake, that would really, really bother me. We already know the rear fender vent-like depressions are fake since they are filled with the world's most obnoxious reflectors. :thumb down

Thanks in advance for any insight and info y'all might have.
Yep vents non functional on the M2 as for 6MT it's M2 1496kg vs M3 1520kg from memory. Given they weigh about the same it would be the footprint and manoeuvrability which I'm trying to wonder how much difference there really would be.

With M2 I could find myself comparing to M3 on things but if I went M3 would there be anything on the M2 id wish I had besides smaller size? The only thing I can think of is if it gets the street cred and hailed by the journos as the better drivers car. Even then you could just say yeah but I've got the better engine, seats and m mirrors
Appreciate 0