12-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #64
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I'm not trying to steer anyone, but whatever you say.....
You're not trying to steer anyone? The first paragraph of post #61 begs to differ:
Quote:
Yeah I agree, but it does affect us that look for the most extreme variants because the more people that buy M cars for the prestige the more they have to cater to the demand of an average everyday guy. This takes away from the true M experience as you can see cars are getting bigger (more cargo room) and heavier due to more luxury features. But like you said it's their money their choice, I just want to put it out there that a few thousand for a diff and a few hundred for a tune and you'll end up with a comparable experience. So essentially I wanted to let people know they can save some money.

Quote:
I'm just trying to say an M vehicle isn't always necessary for every situation kind of what the OP was asking for.
No M car is "necessary" - ppl buy them cz they want to, but apparently you only want certain ppl to buy them for certain reasons - ones that fit your agenda, cz you actually think it harms you when the ppl you deem undesirable buy them. OP didn't ask about "every situation" - started the thread with one simple question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Does it make any sense or worth it to buy M cars when one knows he would never track the car?
Which was answered by the first word of the first reply ("yes"). But I take it you disagree with that answer...

Quote:
How do you decern someone buying for prestige, I don't know maybe have a chat with them. For instance I was at the dealership the other day...
Anecdotal evidence. One person.

Quote:
But who knows some people think they're pro racers who need M cars on the street for spirited driving but when they hit the track can't make one lap where they follow the racing line if their life depends on it. maybe it's the M placebo effect making drivers feel like they need it.
It's not about "need" - ppl buy what they want - the M2 is much more attractive, sounds better, handles better, and has a sporting differential - all of which do enhance even street driving compared to something like an M240i. Not everyone has to be Mario Andretti in order to enjoy that. You assume some ppl think they're pro street racers and that they "need" an M car - maybe they enjoy the way it feels, which is different - and better - than an M240i. You make a lot of assumptions. And apparently you like to argue, even with other ppl who drive the same car, and who aren't even the supposed posers that you scorn and blame for ruining M cars (as if the M2 was a softy). I didn't buy my M2 for prestige anyway, no one NEEDS one, and if they had offered a very hardcore model such as a CSL, I would have skipped it as it would have been overkill for the majority of my use. I certainly don't consider an 'OG' M2 to be overkill on the street, however.

Quote:
That's why I like Ford's approach for the GT where you had to submit an application and state why you wanted the car, and I believe sign a no reslae contract for a few years. That way it's hard for people to try to get resale on cars and ruin it for enthusiasts.
I just knew you were going to cite and approve of that elitist BS that Ford did where ppl had to APPLY for the right to buy a certain car in order to make sure the "right" ppl buy them. Believe me, I am just as disgusted when Lindsay Lohan crashes a powerful sports car she obviously has no business driving, but I support freedom of choice and free will, which unfortunately allows some stupid ppl to make stupid decisions. It's called freedom.

Quote:
You can steer people any way you want, I'm here to tell people on the fence about getting an M car what way would best suit them based on driving habits, conditions, if it's their only car and if it will be daily driven which direction they should go. If that happens to be an M then they should by all means go for it and get one. That signals to BMW that these cars are in demand and they'll continue to make more. But if every poser buys an M and complains about it riding hard, or having too few luxuries because they didn't expect that from the get go and had to buy it, then future M cars will get softer and softer.

At the end of the day it's your choice I could care less what you do with your money. But if you wanted a second opinion I'll give you mine. If you don't agree that's fine, that's all I can say.
Unlike you, I'm not trying to steer anyone. In fact, this was a reasonably entertaining little thread until the elitist fun police showed up. I'm sure everyone appreciates your advice on what "would best suit them"; that way, only desirable would-be buyers can get the car they want.

It's clear you DO care what others do with their money - the evidence is overwhelming. I thank you for elaborating on your opinions.