skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The placebo effect is alive and well.
Not sure what you mean by that but driving these cars back to back on the same roads day to day, it's obvious there have been improvements. And I have owned a couple model F-generation cars including F32 coupes before and after the 2018 LCI where BMW made changes to the steering. They are getting better, but when I put all of this together, I can tell the F87 is still using a previous generation EPS system. It's vague/loose on center, which is a hallmark of the pre-2018 EPS systems. None of them are as good as the last hydraulic BMW I owned (2011 model), but the EPS has definitely improved as of late, whereby improved means "less awful" or "tolerable".

What we still don't have with BMW EPS is a feel for the front tires under cornering loads. Used to be you would get some self-straightening resistance back from the tires in turns and you'd feel when the tires were losing bite. The EPS motors pretty much isolate that from the driver. You could saw at the wheel and not really feel what the tires are doing. You mainly just feel what the car is doing.
Appreciate 0