11-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #58
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
That was a great article by R&T. Refreshing and insightful. It takes some guts to pick a Hyundai, while pointing out the flaws of the other contenders, kudos to R&T.

Summary paragraphs
“For all their bluster and power, their lap times and displacement, most of the carmakers at this test made a deal with the devil—they traded what once made them great in the search for outright speed. Never has the disparity been greater between the capabilities of a modern fast car and what is legally possible. The new definition of performance isn’t what a car can do, but what it will do on a good road.

The Veloster N is what a great front-wheel-drive car should feel like. A delight that welds a smile to your face every time you drive it. It cheers you on, treating you like the hero. And it came from a company that had no reason to build it. Chevrolet has to make a Corvette; Porsche, a 911. Short of a giant meteorite or nuclear winter, those names will always exist. Cars like the Veloster N are more special, crafted not of obligation, but for the sheer joy of driving. That’s why the Hyundai Veloster N is Road & Track’s 2020 Performance Car of the Year.

We got your letter, Hyundai. We heart you, too.”
I actually agree with them. I just think the M2C barely rides that limit of not being too fast to enjoy on public roads. But I really only think that because i'm confident in my driving skills and i'm willing to make the journey to get out of the city and drive it in the middle of nowhere.

Other people are going to draw that line somewhere else, and more power to them. If i hadn't spent the last 14 years driving a 300 hp RWD car in the rain almost every day, the M2C might not be the car for me either.

Edit: also, side note, the Veloster N is rad. I really really like that car, I just wish it came with a different body (the i30 N is much better looking, has smaller blind spots and is more practical IMHO)
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
D22M21368.00