JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I got to test drive the 718 GTS this weekend - my local P car dealer has a sweet 2018 CPO that I went to check out. Having had a 981 CS (and with a F80 and OG M2 in the garage currently), I was really interested to see how the 718 GTS stacked up.

Wow - I was really impressed. The car felt so small and nimble compared to the F80 (obviously ) but it also sounded pretty good to my ears. Does it have the high pitched wail of the F6 in the 981? No, but I think it sounds good in its own right, and was definitely quicker than my old Cayman. I would say that it didn't have the extreme grunt of the S55, but felt quicker than the OG M2 we have.

The PDK is still the best transmission I have ever driven - the thing is just so fast, up or down. And to your point, the car just LOVES going around corners. I used to get such a kick out of driving the 981, even at lower speeds, and the 718 felt even sharper. I am really, really tempted to get one....
DM

I have been pretty upfront in stating I bailed on my 20’ M2C chassis build for a new 718 CGTS . . . I am a Porsche guy.

I think I have also been rather unbiased in assessing what the M2C offers for the price. . . I think it offers more performance for $60K than any other sport car on the road! The 718 CGTS is better, but a new one is going to cost $30-40K more than a new M2C. Price cannot be ignored in comparison. . . but the CPO 718 CGTS finds itself in the ‘sweet spot’ for a lot of prospective buyers, including yourself.

You are correct, the 981 NA F6 has almost unparalleled OEM engine/exhaust acoustics. For many, including myself, the impact of acoustics toward driving experience cannot be overstated. As you also stated, the 718 falls victim in comparison to its 981 NA F6 predecessor. . . BUT 718 acoustics are not nearly as bad as is commonly cited in comparison to the 981. The really important difference occurs at lower throttle intensity, where the 718 is quite ‘tame.’ However, with some throttle intensity, the 718 really comes alive.

A 2018 CPO 718 CGTS is a great option when considering a new M2C as the alternative. Of course, only you can make the decision as to what is best for you.

Given this a M2CS versus 718 GT4 thread, I already stated I am taking the M2C . . . over the M2CS and GT4. Based on your comments, seems you have taken it a step further by considering a new M2C versus CPO 718 CGTS. . . some choices are nice to have. I know what I would do and would be interested to hear where you land in your decision process.

///AVM
Very impressed with the accolades you have given to the M2C amongst M2CS and GT4. That may be the direction i will take if I can't get an allocation