10-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I was wondering when the Lightening Lap would come out this year. Some surprising results from the SUVs, and looks like the AMG GT4D has taken the 4-Door record from the M5. And of course, the Giulia QF yet again can't successfully go one lap without some of its stereotypical Italian electrical issues, sad, although its SUV counterpart the Stelvio QF didn't seem to have any issues. :
Two observations from the article.

1) BMW should offer a Sport Cup 2 tire option on the M's. Even if no consumers would actually order an M5 with them, that way they can supply those to the magazines for these tests so they'd be on equal footing with cars like the AMG GT and Quadrifoglio.

2) "This M5 is not playful. Or nimble. Or light."

"The handling and grip of this 4628-pound machine [AMG GT63 S] foster total confidence."

The AMG GT63 S weighs 4628lbs. Obviously the M5 must weigh more, right? Nope. 4241lbs. Yet somehow C&D manages to call the M5 heavy in the first 9 words, while not just ignoring the extra 400lbs in the AMG, but practically treating it as if it somehow helped the performance. The upcoming M8 Gran Coupe will likely fall around 4600lbs, and I'm calling it now - you can expect to read "this car is heavy" near the top of all the reviews despite it likewise weighing less (or no more than) than the RS7 and GT63 S and whatever else might be in the class at the time. Because somehow current BMW weights are compared only to BMW's from 20 years ago and Porsches, and Mercedes weights are compared to... I don't even know who. Naval vessels? Apparently as long as the other brands weigh less than battleships, they're good.

The M5 might not be light, but 4241lbs makes it the lightest vehicle in its class. Put it on Sport Cup 2's and it would probably equal the AMG GT63 S times, and you'd have $66k in cash leftover for an actual track toy, or for an X5 to haul your family and track toy to and from the track.

Last edited by JRobUSC; 10-11-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 13