03-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
FTP is the only company that sells the charge AND boost pipes, IIRC. Everyone else just sells the charge pipe. They sell a turbo inlet pipe, as well. I've dealt with their support too, very quick to respond and solve issues. Not so great at speaking English, but well enough to understand them.

I'm curious, why don't you want to tune the car?
Hey thanks, good to know about the boost pipe from FTP. I may go that route then.

I read/saw pics that the FTP inlet pipe has a weird kink, so was thinking of the Pure Turbo new one that is the complete pipe. I'm still researching and definitely learning a lot.

As for tuning - I like the balance of power vs handling of the stock car. I can get on it hard in the canyons and not feel like the car is too fast. However I admit on anything that is more sweepery, the top end for sure is not there.

I feel like adding 80+ hp with a JB4 might sacrifice that balance, for example, create traction issues because of too much power.

Also I'm looking at long term reliability and longevity of the engine, and while the upgrades I'm making I think help to put less stress on the motor and turbo, adding a tune may offset some of that and create more stress. I also understand that the upgrades give more room for more power and equal stress as the stock car.

But honestly the more I go down this rabbit hole, I'm being more open to some kind of tune, maybe even the BMS "N55 Stage 1" which is not as aggressive as a JB4 would be a reasonable middle ground. 100 more HP will for sure have some drawbacks for traction and the overall character of the car.

Even just my Akra DP made a difference, in first and second gears (more in first really), hard pulls can see more of the traction light than before it. And, that only added 20hp throughout the range and nothing to peak power output. (I did before and after dyno).
Appreciate 0