09-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #39
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Cool, I'm interested in what he's gonna say. I wonder what he's gonna say about the sound, the car will have ASD so it might actually sound better inside.

As far as caring about his opinion - I was just recently deciding between the RS3 and M2. I test drove them back to back and surprisingly liked the RS3 more (for sound, grip, power, comfort, instrument cluster). But deep down I wanted the M2 (for the looks, ergonomy, manual transmission, RWD, and just being a fan of the brand).
I tried to convince myself that the handling is not that important to me. I literally told myself - you are not Chris Harris, you will spend 99.9% of the time looking at the road through the windshield rather than the side window
Well.. you don't need to be doing massive drifts to take advantage of the driving feel of RWD with an LSD. An offramp, wet or snowing roads, pushing it through canyons. What makes the M2 so great is it oversteers very predictably and progressively like an E46 M3. So you can have a little bit of fun while staying well within the bounds of safety and well out of the realm of a drift. Can't do that in an RS3. The harder you push a haldex car, the more they just plow. Opposite is true of the M2, and crucially it does it in a way that won't have you flying off the road.

Initially I did the same comparison as you to the RS3. I prefer its looks, interior, motor, sound, and price. But, I recently owned an S4 and won't be going back to an Audi ,certainly not one with an automatic either.