07-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #241
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Agree 100% here. This whole notion that BMW is executing on a strategy that pushes unhappy M2 buyers up to the M3/4 is kind of looney. You can find exceptions to any rule, but in general, buyers shop to a price point. We don't have M2 pricing yet, but the jump to the M4 (assuming the M2 buyer is shopping coupes) is likely to be a large one. A stripper (cloth, AW) M4 is $65,195 with destination. If the M2 starts at $50-$55, the jump is close to $10k. That is not a small jump for someone shopping to a price point.

once again... A clear ASSUMPTION here that BMW wants to sell as many as M2 as possible.... which.. they don't. Sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

Based on the option list that just showed up, it's pretty clear what's going on here. BMW is not sitting on some desert island with their head in the sand. The secondary market for the 1M is just nuts. The car is listed at or above MSRP everywhere I've seen it. I can't say if they're selling at that point, but even if resale were 80% at this point, that would incredible for that car. There is clearly a market for a small M, and the 1M has provided BMW a template that they know will sell. The least risky thing for them to do is deliver a sequel to the 1M, and that appears to be what they're doing.
Agree 100 percent... I've said it before and I will say it again.

This is a low volume car. Just like Porschephiles say that Porsche holds down the Cayman/Boxster... BMW is doing the same.. they do not want to sell more M2 than M3/M4... just like Porsche wants to sell more 911s than Cayman/boxsters.... they just go about it slightly differently..

It's not like this is a hidden strategy.. look at every single sales month that's posted here... BMW wants to sell 3/4 series as their highest volume vehicles... ... followed by 5 series... and then X vehicles... not 1/2 series..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
What kills me about this car....
Why not give us the option to spec an M3-like beast into the smaller M2 chassis and charge us M3 money for it??
If the performance, along with the cost of a lower model, overlap with that of a higher model, it gives both owners, along with the manufacturer, a "diplomatic" way out. Everyone gets what they pay for and BMW instantly kills aftermarket tunes and makes more dough.
I realize it's a bold concept but it's just as silly to hold cars back from their full potential. There should also be room left for product versioning...win-win for all involved.

Attention BMW bean counters: off you go to the drawing board!!
Again... the same assumption that production capability is unlimited for the M2. FALSE.

Bottom line is the Leipzing plant just barely managed to squeeze out the 1Ms it did. That plant will have similar or LESS capacity if the new generation X1 continues to sell like the current one... that or the plant will have to go 24/7.... When the 1M was being made the plant was two shifts with a 3rd shift for the paint booth... So... And even if the plant can go 24/7 on vehicle production... they still can't keep up with paint.. hence.. LIMITED PRODUCTION.

Oh yeah... and they also want to bring out an X2 some time... guess where that will likely be made...

Bemo... you have the WHINE.. I just gave you the cheese.. sorry it's Limburger..

I'm just saying... get in line now if you want an M2... you'll thank me later! or... quit whining and go get an M3/M4.

those who want unique colors for the M2... .. . check out the M3/M4 ...any new colors introduced on that model yet?

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-29-2015 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 1