12-18-2019, 12:55 AM   #1259
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
...all new US-bound BMWs are prepped to be CarPlay ready, with the latest hardware available...

So no worries, your vehicle will be CarPlay ready and now that they decided to comp it, there will be no charge for using the service.
I just placed an order for 2020 Jan/Feb build M2C. The BMW HQ and the dealer (based on official BMW bulletin) said that USD$300 (AUD$450) fee could not be waived. If I don't select the Apple CarPlay (S06CP) option, I will not have CarPlay functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
No email and Connected Drive store still shows $300 for my VIN
It was explained to me this way.

BMW with iDrive 7 (latest 1-series, etc.,) will get Apple CarPlay from the factory. Nothing to pay and no subscription.

BMW with iDrive 6 (like my 2020 build M2C) will require a one time payment to activate the CarPlay functionality, and after that, no subscription. I caved and paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
"BMW is extending the Apple CarPlay Compatibility option for your vehicle to remain active in your vehicle for as long as the feature is technically supported. You will no longer be required to purchase a subscription to keep CarPlay active."
I don't think BMW is saying that they will offer CarPlay to everyone (new cars) for free. I suspect, if you have not received that email, you probably don't qualify. As I have stated above, even if buying a brand new BMW equipped iDrive 6, still attracts USD$300 payment to activate it once. After that, it is free (no subscription).

I still think it is little odd to do it this way. It would make much more sense to make it free for all... previous owners and new owners, no matter which model of BMW. After all, to activate CarPlay in iDrive 6 is just a software (cheap) adjustment. There is no new hardware (costly) required.

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-18-2019 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0