View Single Post
      11-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #23
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I struggled mightily to come up with my track wheel and tire combination. I'm running a staggered setup since it was the only way to maintain the correct tire height which differs front and rear on this car - 25.7"and 26.0 (as far as I recall). This maintains the proper revs per mile of the tires front and rear. I also wanted to keep clearance issues out of the picture since I have no interest in adding camber plates or wheel spacers. I really wanted a square setup but I could not get there given the front and rear OEM tire height diff. As far as going with 18" wheels, first, they are lighter and cheaper. The same goes for 18" tires since they are also cheaper for track duty. Last, the Hankooks have super stiff sidewalls, so they don't rollover like the OEM street tires.

I had prior experience with the excellent Hankook RS-3s on a prior car, so I felt ok going with the RS-4s. The only real downside is you can't rotate them on the fly front to rear and side to side, but mid season you can flip them and remount them to get max use out of the tires. Last, I used close to OEM wheel offsets front and rear - ET 30 front and ET40 rear.

Finally the wheel width differs by 1" front and rear. All in it was a great decision since the OEM M2 is far more neutral compared to my old M235i which had a lot more front end push - ie understeer.

I'm very happy with this easy peasy setup. Swapping pads and wheels now only takes me 40 minutes since I learned to jack up the one entire side of the car at a time making pad and tire changes super efficient.

Tires are 245/40-18 and 265/40-18.
Is there any reason you did not go 245/35-18, 265/35-18 on the RS4's? I have just bought Apex 18x9.5" FL5 wheels in square set-up. Was looking to put 255/35/18 square with RS4's, but are sold out for the season on their web-site. ( Tire Rack)
Appreciate 0