View Single Post
      09-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Dr.Mark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf View Post
I just did a day at Thunderhill 3-mile on Toyo R888Rs and started the day at 30 psi and after my first session all the tires were at 42-44psi. Dropped that down to 37-38 and went out again an hour later and they were up at 38-40.

If this is HDPE, your tires will likely pick up several psi while on track. By the end of the day my TPMS was yelling at me because I would go out on track with 28 psi but would come back at 38psi which is well within spec.

As a basic rule I've always taken tire pressure readings immediately once I'm back in the paddock and drop the psi down to whatever the recommended level is for that tire. Over the course of the day this should require little or no adjustment beyond the second session.
Yes. I've found that upper 20's cold will heat up to 35-40 during a session. If you ran 35-40 cold, those would go to 50psi no problem. I think that is too much. But I'll stand to be corrected. I constantly check tire pressures during the day and am always changing to keep traction to a max. Track temps change. Outside day temps go up. It's rarely a set it and forget it if you want max performance.
Appreciate 0