View Single Post
      01-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #71
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm not disputing the fact that electric powertrains have their benefits and are unbeatable for day-to-day driving, but from a performance aspect I just can't get behind them just yet.

I've driven the Model S and I don't understand all the hype about it being a "fun" car. It feels the exact same as an F10 5-series or A6: good but not what I'd call "fun" compared to any real performance car I've driven, let alone my E90. It's remarkable that Tesla was able to duplicate the driving dynamics of ICE mid-size luxury sedans, but that certainly doesn't make it a fun car. The straight-line acceleration is why most folks who know little about cars call the Tesla "fun," but as we all know there are far more to driving dynamics than acceleration. Combine all that with the hefty price tag and interior that isn't even befitting of a car with a $50,000 price tag, and I'd call the Model S highly overrated. It comes as no surprise to me that the majority of Tesla people I meet aren't traditional "car guys" like us, they are generally techies and are fond of Tesla because the way it goes about its business mirrors Apple or Google more than a traditional automotive company.
Appreciate 0