m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Guys, go drive the 718 Cayman S and see for yourself... I did it and was blown away. The M2 is a great M car, but the 718 is one step above, handling, steering, traction. The engine is a piece of work too, it revs eagerly and builds the power to the redline much like a NA engine, it does not run out of puff at 5k rpm, it still builds power to the redline.

Now, if this will be your only car, and need the back seat and cargo space, then M2 is the car of choice, and a great one at that.
The M2 does not "run out of puff" at 5 grand. Seat time, professional reviews and even graphs put the lie to that implication.

IMO, the two cars are aimed at different markets. A four seat coupe with a big trunk is just not the same gig as the 718. Love my own two-seat (practically speaking) Porsche, but I would not even think of cross-shopping it with an M2.
Bruce did you read the actual comment? He wasn't disparaging the M2 he was referring to the Cayman. He was stating that he was surprised that the car did not run out of breath above 5k as one might expect of a turbo four. That has nothing to do with the M2.

I have an M2 coming in a couple of months and am extremely excited about it. The blend of performance and practicality are ideal for me. I've never driven one but own several BMWs and am confident I'll love it based on strong reviews and the fact I don't give a damn about lap times.

That said I attended a track event for the launch of the 718 and it truly was fantastic. The steering was excellent as was the handling and the engine was indeed strong pulling hard to redline. The sound was good too and was loud inside the cabin. The trouble with the sound is it doesn't compare well at all to a flat six and therefore is dismissed outright by most people.

Either way I can't wait for my M2 to arrive.
Appreciate 0