bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhymb View Post
LOL, in the time it took you to write that post, you could have googled a stats book and found the answer.

Just because you don't understand or want to believe there is a counter argument, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

When you say things like statistical significance and p-value in that context, it's very clear that you don't understand those concepts.
You can keep wanking yourself off over your supposed intellectual superiority all day long, but it doesn't change the outcome of this test. I never said it was statistically significant, I only said that you've done a shit job of making an argument.

Quote:
Congrats, you've contradicted yourself.

A more accurate title would carry the sentiment that the M2C, Cayman S, M3 ZCP are similarly fast. Not that any one of them is faster than the others.
These two things can be simultaneously true:

1) The M2C was faster than the M3C around Magny-Cours.
2) All we can take from that is that the M2C and M3C are close in performance.

One is a fact, and the other is an evaluation of that fact, arrived at because the margin of victory is so close. This is not the same as statistical significance, btw. I'd explain it to you, but you can just Google it. Amirite?

My opinion is that talking about statistical significance in a context where you have only one sample — again, we don't know how many times they lapped the circuit — is a silly discussion to even have. Should I post a histogram of the lap time distribution?

Let me put this another way. Take this histogram to whatever professor taught you statistics and ask them how you should assess the statistical significance of this data. Be sure to record their reaction, because I love watching people laugh.

And once more for clarity. I never said it was statistically significant, and I never drew any conclusion that is any different from yours. You're the one that started spouting about statistical significance.

Quote:
Your comments and suggestion that the title "...M2C faster than Cayman S..." is correct implies that you believe the difference in time is statistically significant.
No, it doesn't. It just means that the sky is blue, water is wet, and the M2C turned a faster lap time than the M3C around Magny-Cours.

Quote:
The more appropriate interpretation for the m2c and m3 zcp from the data given suggests that there is not enough evidence to say one is faster than the other. To determine which is faster, more experiments would have to be run.
Totally agree. Drawing conclusions does not obviate the facts though.

Quote:
On a lighter note, both are incredibly similar vehicles - is it really a surprise that they perform... similarly?
Not at all.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0