07-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
Does anyone have experience removing this panel? And or what and how much space is behind the panel? It feels like it is clipped in, but I don't want to break it, obviously. Thanks in advance!
Not removing, but I've poked around back there by feel, and from the side by flashlight on my 2 Series (ran a wire from the center console storage bin to the steering column). The only thing that functions outwardly there is one of the interior LEDs, which is on the underside of the crease in the middle of the panel. There's nothing immediately behind it beyond some wiring looms and sheet metal side supports. I've seen pics of someone using the space to mount an aftermarket HU.

Take a look at these blowup diagrams on realoem (scroll down to "Instrument Carrier/Mounting Parts") for an idea of how the center console fits together.
Appreciate 1