View Single Post
      04-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
On a trip to a spring training game a few weeks back, I thought I was going to run out of gas.

We got off the interstate and were taking a more local road to Orlando. I had an indicated 50 miles left until I ran out of gas. After 40 miles with nothing even resembling a gas station, or civilization for that matter I started to get nervous.

I remembered the iDrive function that finds the nearest gas stations and pulled it up. I had 10 miles left and the closest gas station was 16. Crap.

Well, eventually the range indicated 0 and I had 6 miles to the gas station that I REALLY hoped existed. After it was @ 0 for a minute, it actually changed to to dashes - -

Well, we made it to the gas station and the car took 13.1 gallons (no top off). That wasn't a fun experience.

I was recalling my old german car days when some of the VDO gauges didn't have an E, but an R for reserve. I was hoping this car had similar.

So seeing that the tank capacity is 13.7 gallons, I likely had another 10 miles to go before I really ran out. That tells me the range is a bit pessimistic, which is a good thing.

Just some good info if anyone ends up in this situation. IF I'd known I may have sweat a bit less during those last miles.

I was so happy after filling up that I got clocked @ 86 in a 60....and the Sheriff let me off with a warning.....but that's a different story.

We made first pitch.
I am glad you made it. That is why my rule for any car I own is "1/4 Tank = Empty" I always fill at 1/4 tank because you never know how far next gas may be.