03-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #27
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Slammer View Post
This explains why N55s have had a tendency to wear out rod bearings faster than one would expect, the sump pickup is different and as they said in the video sometimes it sucks in air because it only picks up from one place as apposed to three. Oils starvation over a long period of time. Moral of the story, keep a lot of oil in your pan, never let it get low, change it often and keep an eye on it. Too bad they didnt think about that when they decided to delete the dipstick...hmm
Although this is unacceptable in my mind, I believe the "air sucking" will only happen under extreme situations like tracking the car, forcing the oil to the opposite side of the pan where the pickup is NOT located. IIRC, this is not the first time BMW has engineered a motor that has these 2 issues (rod bearing and oil pickup).

One day they'll get it right. To get around these issues, the rod bearings will have to be replaced as preventative maintenance. Some vendor will create a baffled oil pan that will help with the pickup issue, or you can install a dry sump solution, both of which will only be needed for the hardcore racing situations. In that case, I think an S55 would be better to track.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00