View Single Post
      04-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Thinking about the disappointing auto-blip implementation more, I wonder if BMW did it out of concern over the engine's torque relative to the transmission's durability. Making it defeatable at all means sideways drift videos like this one can continue to be made, but requiring DSC off to get there definitely ensures that auto-blip will be on the vast majority of the time, and the people who regularly have it off will likely be more experienced drivers. I remember some video about either the F10 M5 or F8x M4 showing someone important in BMW saying that if manuals were to continue to be offered in modern BMWs with their increasing horsepower and torque, then measures like this would need to be implemented to protect the driveline against damage from careless/ignorant drivers. And actually (I guess to make BMW's case), a couple weeks ago a prospective E92 M3 owner posted a few questions on M3Post, and it came up that he'd been driving manuals for 16 years after just teaching himself with seat time -- and consequently he'd never even heard of rev matching. He's now kicking himself for missing out on a lot of fun those years and has redoubled his efforts to find a 6MT E9x to make up for lost time.

Or there's the conspiracy theory that BMW is deliberately taking more fun out of the manual transmission so that even the manual enthusiasts eventually won't want it anymore, at which point BMW can finally switch to DCT-only for engineering and manufacturing simplicity.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 1