01-23-2021, 02:19 AM   #38
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
M2C finally arrived from ED on Thursday and I took it right to the track for a shakedown run for Friday-Sat at Area27. Luckily, it's been well broken into with 2500kms in Europe. Flushed with Motul RBF660 and off I went.

I left in the morning and got to the track for the afternoon sessions. The track was damp, cold, and empty so it was perfect for me to test it in the wet and have some fun practicing slides in this baby especially in DCT. I went with my neighbor's 991.1gt3rs so that's pretty much all I could compare it with that day.

Wet Impressions:
-Great fun in the damp.
-Must turn everything off (MDM is still too intrusive)
-MDM allows a bit more slip than it did in the 1M but power didn't feel pure with it

As it got later in the day, the track dried up and it was time to get serious running with an RS with Cup2s.

Dry Impressions:
-Understeer is a bitch at 8/10th +.
-PSS is well undersized for track duties
-Needs camber. A lot more camber
-Car is quick but can feel it can have a lot more between 5-7k rpm.
-Best setting for me was Sport+ throttle - Sport and maybe even comfort for steering - Quickest setting for shifting but DIY. I didn't like the gear selection when the computer did it for the DCT. The DCT is no where near a PDK on track.

Comparison with 1M on Track:
-M2C much more composed
-M2C much easier to handle at its limits
-M2C is way more powerful
-M2C has incredible heat management
-1M was more fun and M2C was no drama

I wasn't too serious about comparing lap times but the M2C at its stock form was easily as fast as my FBO 1M on R888 back in its heyday. This was mostly due to the M2C's composure and ability to use its power out of corners instead of trying to constantly find grip in the 1M even on 295 R888R.

The next day was dry with about 30 cars on track. Learned nothing more than I did the day before aside from keeping the psi over 26 on the tires when it cools because a warning light comes on and tries to limit your speed to 80kph. I found the car was great at about 35-37psi hot all around.

If you intend to track this car regularly, I'd highly recommend the following:
-Set of lighter/wider wheels with grippier tires (ie Cup2 or R888 etc). I'd just go straight to Hoosier R7 and swap at the track.
-Get camber plates and set fronts to at least -3degrees.
-Racing brake fluids
-Racing pads
-GTS or CS tune to get that much needed extra power between 5-7k rpm

That's all this car needs to become a respectable weapon at the track while still maintaining some sanity on the street where this car really shines.

Biggest takeaway from this shakedown:
-Seats are the best of both worlds. Surprised how great it hugged my sides on track.
-The M2C is a good/decent track car out of the box but I would look elsewhere if you plan to get a bit more serious.
-Super impressed with the oil temps. Coming from the N54, this S55 engine temp is the greatest thing about this car on track.

All in all, I never intended this car to be tracked regularly but it performed better than expected. I probably won't track it again but my wife will. That's not to say it is bad, it was just uneventful and the lap times will never be mind blowing. I don't want to make the mistake of spending tens of thousands of dollars again like I did on the 1M to make it do something it was never designed to do extraordinarily well in. For me, this car will remain completely stock sans pads/fluid for the track for my wife to enjoy this sport.
Spot on honest review. Appreciate your comments as my initial thinking is also the same. Not a straight out purposeful track car without spending considerable dollars, but definitely respectable on occasional track days.